1. Marma Science has mention in ancient texts like the Vedas, Brahmanas, Upanishads, Puranas and Samhitas including the Sushruta Samhita. In these texts are incorporated the knowledge of Marma Science which in fact existed even before these texts, and which had origin in a timeless period. It is a system which is existing in the human body from the time of evolution of the human being and was not devised/invented by anyone. It exists in Nature.
Whereas Marma Science pertaining to martial arts wounding, prevention, protection and healing of battle wound was preserved to a very small extent, its curative aspect was almost lost. Some people in South India had a very limited and perhaps distorted knowledge of it.
Acupressure is a Far Eastern practice and perhaps spread from India, but its original basis was lost. It has been in existence since 2 or 3 thousand years, since the time of the Buddha.
2. The basis of Marma Science is 107 vital points in the body, which are locatable in anatomically defined sites. They are therefore accurate and results potent. They are also locatable through and in different spontaneous human postures and by measurement of ones own body parts.
Acupressure is based on meridians (routes of psychic energy) which are assessed differently by different persons and the cumulative resultant was developed as acupressure and other Oriental medical practices like shiatsu, moxibustion, kampo,, tsubo and anma.
3. The points for various diseases are different in Marma Science and Therapy from acupressure. They are not the same points.
4. The methods of Marma Therapy resort to simple finger pressure or vibration and do not use instruments, like in acupressure or acupuncture. It is a non-invasive method, unlike acupuncture.
5. Stimulation of Marma points is inherent in Yogasanas, Mudras and Pranayama. Similar stimulation can be done directly through regular self-marma therapy, like Yogic practice, for maintenance and promotion of health at all levels physical, mental and spiritual.
6. The application and results of Marma Therapy are fairly comprehensive and long duration, but often results are immediate as well as permanent. We cannot compare the results of Marma Science with other Oriental Science because Marma Therapy is more accurately targeted with a definite premise, and does not rely on multiple points/sets of points for a particular disease.